Storey is a leading publisher of how-to-books for country living, with a focus on gardening, cooking, crafts, building, and animals. We are located in the scenic Berkshires, on the campus of the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA), three hours from NYC and Boston.
Storey is seeking an Interactive Designer to manage the design and function of digital features. For thirty years, Storey has promoted the practical virtues of creative self-reliance, publishing do-it-yourself books that empower readers to learn new skills and deepen knowledge of subjects from cooking and crafts to raising livestock and woodworking. We’re seeking someone with the design savvy required to translate the expert content and engaging design of our print books to our digital world in a way that tells the story of Storey. Applicants must be willing to work in highly collaborative environment. A passion for DIY is a plus.
Under the direction of the Marketing Art Director, the Interactive Designer is responsible for the visual quality and daily management of Storey’s WordPress-powered website, and the creation of digital assets consistent with, and in promotion of, the Storey brand.
Serve as visual editor for storey.com
- Design engaging digital experiences and specific campaigns consistent with the Storey brand, using front-end technologies to enhance site content.
- In collaboration with Marketing Art Department and the Digital Features Editor, translate and repurpose assets to work in the context of a responsive website, considering all visitors and devices.
- Responsible for testing to ensure functionality and appearance of all pages and features across browsers and devices.
Serve as designer for online marketing materials
- In collaboration with Marketing Art Department and the Digital Features Editor, provide design support for social media graphics, Storey’s newsletter and online advertising
Assist in content planning
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing Art Department and the Digital Features Editor in daily planning, conception, and production of all website articles and pages, as well as email marketing campaigns.
- Work collaboratively with Marketing, Publicity, and Editorial teams to promote the site with the goal of increased readership, exploring new opportunities to promote the site leveraging social media and encouraging community engagement.
Conduct regular review of analytics
- Analyze website, campaign, and newsletter statistics and use them to assess effectiveness of pages/features, identify trends, and advise internal groups and drive organizational decision-making.
Essential Skills/Qualifications Required
- Three to five years of experience in visual design, with a portfolio demonstrating pixel-perfect attention to detail
- Proficiency in industry standard design software, particularly Adobe CC
- Proficiency with content management systems, especially WordPress
- Knowledge of web analytics tools
- Strong understanding of UI/UX and responsive web design principles
- Strong writing and editing skills
- CSS preprocessors (e.g., Sass)
- Source code management (e.g., Git)
- LAMP application management and/or development (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP)
- Server/incident management and troubleshooting
- Vision and hearing must be acute enough for phone work and computer operations
- Cannot be color blind
Applicant should email letter of interest, resume, salary requirements and one of the following to email@example.com: a link to a personal website featuring work; a digital PDF of sample work (no larger than 5 mb).
Storey’s Top 5
The best of our blog, plus contests, recipes, projects, and our newest books.
Conserve water by discovering its source
Pasilla scones capture the flavors of New Mexico
Crochet the crocodile stitch
‘Tis the season for birdsongs of love
Heather Smith Thomas tells the story of Pig