Storey is a leading publisher of how-to-books for country living, with a focus on gardening, cooking, crafts, building, and animals. We are located in the scenic Berkshires, on the campus of the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA), three hours from NYC and Boston.
Trade & Special Sales Manager
Responsible for developing and executing sales strategies that increase the market share within the US trade and special sales channels for Storey and Timber Press books. This will be achieved by managing internal special sales staff and by directing and supporting the efforts of our distributor Workman Publishing and their commissioned trade sales rep groups and in-house sales representatives.
- In conjunction with the Director of Sales, research and understand the different markets we publish into. Develop key relationships with our buyers and sales reps internal and external.
- Work closely with in-house and out-of-house sales reps to identify effective selling tools based upon account location and customer base.
- Communicate closely with publicity and marketing departments so that the selling materials being created will be channel specific and meet the needs of the sales team.
- Gather, analyze and report on sales data. Present viable new sales outlets to the Director of Sales. Must be able to understand sales terms, negotiate and discuss detailed sales requirements, contracts and shipping details.
- In collaboration with Marketing Art Department and the Digital Features Editor, provide design support for social media graphics, Storey’s newsletter and online advertising
Assist in content planning
- Work closely with the in-house sales department at Workman Publishing, national account rep groups, and individual field sales reps to position, and grow Storey and Timber business in the book trade market.
- Keep Storey and Timber product front and center with national trade account reps and key buyers. Continually brainstorm new innovative ways to reach this market.
- Partner with Workman Publishing on coop advertising and other advertising opportunities such as magazine/newspaper and on-line ads. Work with the Sales Director to develop and manage the budget for these items.
- Manage efforts of bi-annual sales conference with help from support staff, this will include selection and shipment of supporting materials, coordination and duplication as well as shipment of binder materials, PowerPoint production, and travel arrangements.
- Organize and manage Storey’s presence at Book Expo America, and regional book trade shows, at book sales meetings and book sales conference meetings.
- Travel on a regular basis to attend meetings at the Workman offices in NYC, sales calls, sales conferences and trade shows.
- Present new titles as necessary at account visits, webinars, sales conference, etc.
- Keep Workman staff and sales reps updated on changes in Firebrand title database; changes in release dates, prices and general specs.
- Update and maintain key buyer and rep contacts in database system
- Manage e-book sales and communicate sales information within the company and to the sales force
- Manage and update all sales-related information on databases and rep-shared file folders, including Edelweiss (as fed by Filemaker), Dropbox, Brandwise and Ipad Presos.
- Manage and motivate in-house special sales staff.
- Develop our current account base while expanding our base of direct accounts.
- Build strong relationships with Timber Press marketing and publicity departments to promote growth of the Timber Press product line.
- Keep Storey and Timber product front and center with national gift account reps and key buyers. Continually brainstorm new innovative ways to reach this market.
- In conjunction with Director of Sales Manage organize annual sales conference with help from support staff, this will include selection and shipment of supporting materials, coordination and duplication as well as shipment of binder materials and PowerPoint presentation.
- Minimum 5-7 years of book sales experience.
- Prior staff management experience.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic.
- Customer service orientation.
- Must be able to track and analyze sales data and report results.
- Requires ability to perform market research and identify changing competition in the makets.
- Demonstrated problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Must be able to generate creative and unique ideas.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; oral and written.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Power Point, File Maker.
- Must be willing and available for travel, including overnight travel.
- Knowledge of some of our publishing categories, such as gardening/horticulture, crafts, cooking, animal husbandry, and equine, is a plus.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds
- Vision and hearing must be acute enough for phone work and computer operations
- Must be able to travel long distances.
Applicant should email letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Sales Coordinator
Working under the direction of the International Rights Manager the International Sales Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating sales support for Storey, Timber, and The Experiment to international distributors. This includes providing marketing material, advance copies, determining front list quantities, obtain orders and work with inventory manager for timely shipments, and attending international sales conferences.
- Under the direction of the International Rights Manager be the primary contact for all international distributors including but not limited to the following countries; Canada, UK, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
- Coordinate and attend international sales events as assigned; prepare PowerPoint presentations, present titles, and cultivate strong relationships with distributor’s sales representatives.
- Process purchase orders from international distributors for export sales.
- Send out marketing materials, including manuscripts, page proofs, sample covers, and catalogs to international distributors.
- Work with international distributors to determine sales potential for each title.
- Coordinate monthly reports and updates regarding international distributors.
- Support special market sales efforts for international distributors.
- Prepares mailings, including photocopying, packaging, and mailroom preparation.
- Obtain international pricing of titles from distributors for accurate marketing materials.
- Support rights sales efforts as needed particularly with mailing follow up after London and Frankfurt Book Fairs.
- Bachelors Degree in business, marketing or related field.
- 2-3 years experience in book publishing sales, preferably with international experience.
- Proficient with PowerPoint, Microsoft Office software including Excel and Word, Filemaker, ACT, and Outlook.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills both written and verbal.
- Must be organized and detail oriented while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong work ethic.
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritize work load essential.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Vision and hearing must be acute enough for phone work and computer operations.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally, which requires a valid passport.
Applicant should email letter of interest, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com.